Monaco

10 May 2014

Lot 147

1956 Maserati 450S Prototype by Fantuzzi

To be auctioned on Saturday, May 10, 2014

High Bid of €3.500.000

  • Chassis no. 3501/4501/350SI-10
  • Engine no. 4519


Est. 520 bhp, 5,657 cc DOHC 90-degree V-8 engine with four Weber 45 IDM carburettors, five-speed manual transaxle, independent front suspension with double wishbones and coil-springs, reinforced de Dion rear suspension with Houdailles and telescopic shock absorbers, and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,360 mm

  • Prototype of the legendary 450S
  • Works entry at the 1956 Mille Miglia, driven by Stirling Moss with Denis Jenkinson
  • Authenticated by correspondence from Maserati S.p.A.
  • Restored with the factory’s consultation in 1987
  • The ultimate evolution of Maserati’s sports racing prototype


THE EVOLUTION OF A GIANT



In early 1956, Tony Parravano, a wealthy American housing developer, commissioned Maserati to build a new large-bore V-8 for use in a Kurtis Indy chassis. The order offered Maserati the chance to develop the V-8 project, coded Tipo 54, which had been shelved since the disastrous Le Mans accident of 1955. The project also provided a natural opportunity to try the new powerplant in Maserati’s own sports-racing chassis, of which the recently developed 350S was the most obvious candidate. This car, chassis number 3501, was elongated to accommodate the new V-8 engine, whose castings had been completed by May.



After its debut in practice as the prototype 450S at the Swedish Grand Prix in August 1956, this car, now identified as 4501, displayed great potential in acceleration and top speed; although, as it was still in the experimental phases, it was not properly sorted, and it proved unable to manage the V-8’s overwhelming power. Moreover, the wrong firing order produced intolerable vibrations, further hampering the car’s performance. Nevertheless, the 450S obtained the third best time in practice; even still, it was not entered in the race, but returned to Modena instead. A purpose-built 450S chassis was subsequently engineered.



With further development conducted in view of the 1957 season, the new “production” 450S, presumably using identity 4501, had its maiden race at the 1000 KM of Buenos Aires in January 1957. The “bazooka”, as the car was baptised by Fangio, gave 10 seconds to the new Ferrari twin-cam sports cars in the first timed session, leaving the Maranello team in total discouragement. Transmission problems ultimately lead to the cars retirement, but the potential of the new mostro was clearly noted.



The production 450S took its first chequered flag at Sebring that March (with Juan Manuel Fangio and Jean Behra in chassis number 4503), followed by a 1st overall finish at the 1957 Swedish GP. In combination with the strong-performing six-cylinder cars, the 450S promised great potential as the possibility of Maserati’s first-ever World Sportscar Championship loomed ahead. Unfortunately, whilst competing against the might of Ferrari’s 315S and 335S, a rash of bad luck blunted the 450S’s impact down the stretch, and even though Fangio and his Maserati 250F were awarded the World Formula One title, the 1957 Sportscar Championship went to rival Ferrari by a mere five points.



Following the 1957 season, the FIA imposed a three-litre formula that made the 450S ineligible, although some examples proved quite successful in American SCCA racing. Just 11 highly scrutinised cars (including this prototype) were constructed over an 18-month period.



CHASSIS NUMBER 3501/4501/350SI-10



The repetition or substitution of identical chassis numbers by Italian automakers of the 1950s and 1960s is by no means rare, but the unusual circumstances surrounding Maserati’s use of chassis number 4501, no less than three times from 1956 to 1958, has been the source of much debate amongst marque experts in recent years. However, this car’s history has most recently been verified by a bevy of original documentation and clarified by several notable Maserati historians.



This car, originally built as a six-cylinder 350S and assigned chassis number 3501, was hastily prepared for the 1956 Mille Miglia, held from the 28th to the 29th of April. During the famed 1,000-mile race, the car was driven by the legendary Stirling Moss, with Denis Jenkinson navigating. Just outside of Rome, 3501’s brakes gave out and the Maserati careened through a roadside retainer, barely coming to a rest on a tree overlooking a precipitous ravine. Moss and Jenkinson walked away unharmed (other than a scratch on Moss’ wristwatch), but the car wasn’t quite so lucky, and it was returned for the factory for repairs and further development.



With the engineering spurred by Tony Parravano’s order, 3501 became a test-bed prototype for the 450S program, and the wheelbase was duly extended to accommodate the new V-8 powerplant. A new body was fitted to the car by Fantuzzi, which featured a bulbous new bonnet and monoposto coachwork. In this fantastic form, with short-tipped “stub” exhaust pipes, the car was next seen (and heard!) during testing at the Swedish Grand Prix in August 1956. Following the Swedish GP, the 450S model was deemed to require further testing and its own purpose-built chassis. The factory undertook construction of several such cars, beginning with chassis number 4502, whilst keeping the number 4501 for future Works use.



Chassis number 4501 was the source of some future confusion, as it was subsequently assigned to the 450S run by Moss and Juan Manuel Fangio at the 1957 Buenos Aires 1000 KM, which was a car that Jean Behra later crashed during practice at the 1957 Mille Miglia. Following Behra’s accident, the same number was “provisionally used” yet again (as original Maserati documentation phrases it) for the Costin-designed Zagato-built Le Mans Coupé of 1957. This car was raced as chassis number 4501 (though initially built as 4506) before being re-commissioned as a road car a year later and re-identified as chassis number 4512. It is also understood that chassis number 3501, this car’s original identity, was transferred to another 350S, the car that was raced in the 1957 1000 KM of Buenos Aires, driven by Piotti and Bonomi



With the evolution of the Type 54 chassis, this prototype’s days as a test mule drew to a close, and the modified 3501/4501 chassis was stored away by Maserati. Noted marque historian Walter Bäumer remembers his inspection of the car several years ago: “Clearly the frame is original and genuine. I could find cuts in some of the elongate tubes, clearly indicating Maserati ‘tried to do something’ with it to make bigger engines fit into this chassis that had originally been made for the inline six-cylinder engine”.



After collecting dust at the factory, this rare 450S prototype was eventually sold without an engine to Tom Meade on 15 August 1965. The car is described therein on its official Certificato d’Origine as chassis number 350SI-10, a curious designation. As explained by former Maserati Managing Director Aurelio Bertocchi, the son of long-time factory chief mechanic and test driver Guerrino Bertocchi, renumbered cars were often described internally by merely switching the sequence of chassis digits; thus, the “10” suffix of 350SI-10 actually referred to the “01” of 3501.



Tom Meade sold the prototype 450S to Niles F. Moss on 29 October 1965. Moss delivered the car to the Modenese shops of Leoni, Drogo, and Gentilini, who embarked on making it more roadworthy over the course of late 1965. Most significantly, this work consisted of the installation of a Corvette V-8 engine, a Ferrari Tipo 510 five-speed transaxle, and a Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet windshield. Following this effort, 350SI-10 was imported to the United States.



Once stateside, this car was sold by Mr. Moss to Gerald Satterfield, of Nevada City, California, on 26 May 1970. After being registered as 285 BME, Mr. Satterfield used the handsome 450S as a regular road car, which surely attracted no lack of attention around the Golden State. This 450S Prototype was then discovered in July 1981 by the consignor, a discerning Italian collector who soon acquired and re-imported it to its native Italy.



The consignor then set about a lengthy restoration and documentation process that inevitably called into question the car’s precise history. Consulting with the Maserati factory and several other owners and marque experts (including more recent correspondence with of Maserati), the consignor confirmed that his car was the 1956 Mille Miglia entrant, as well as the 450S prototype that appeared at the 1956 Swedish GP. Maserati’s then-managing director, Aurelio Bertocchi, confirmed that the car was indeed considered by the factory to be the first chassis designated “4501”, with the history described above.



Prior to restoration, the question still remained whether the car should be returned to 350S specifications, as in the 1956 Mille Miglia, or in the extended-wheelbase 450S configuration that debuted at Sweden in 1956 During numerous consultations with the factory, including with one of the firm’s senior chassis men who reportedly worked on the car in period, Aurelio Bertocchi suggested that 3501/4501 ought to be restored as the mighty 450S prototype, which was the final form in which the car was used by the factory.



Considerations for full restoration were entrusted to Officine Orsi srl, managed by Roberto Orsi in Modena. Several ex-Maserati factory employees, including Bietolini, Lodi, Majorana, and Golinelli, weighed in on the process to ensure as authentic a restoration as possible. As the car never possessed any physical chassis number stamps in the first place, the consignor chose to preserve the original character with a stampless chassis presentation rather than create a historically artificial watermark. It must be noted that Works race cars of this period were often not stamped at all, in the interest of having the car ready by race time with the use of alternative identities related to available custom transit carnets.



In keeping with the 450S specifications, an original-period Maserati V-8, engine number 4519, was sourced to power the car. The 5.7-litre marine engine was acquired from Count Agusta, coming from one of his all-conquering KD Formula racing hydroplanes. Although technically a Tipo 59 (5.7-litre) unit, the engine was discovered to have been bored to 110 millimetres, converting it to the even more powerful (580 brake horsepower) Tipo 62 unit of 6,458 cubic centimetres. Whilst the larger displacement boosted the car’s overall power and torque, the marine engine’s forgiving cam profile makes the car surprisingly tractable, allowing for ease of road use in historic rally events.



After the completion of its restoration in 1987, this car was only rarely driven by the consignor over the ensuing 27 years, including at the 1987 Mille Miglia, as well as at the official celebration for the 90th Maserati anniversary in 2004. In the interim, the car has been carefully maintained in a climate-controlled environment. More recently, the car was displayed at the Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari in Modena as part of a 2012 exhibit titled Le Grandi Sfide, Ferrari – Maserati, which focused on the historic duels between the two famed teams.



In recent years, after recurring problems with the original transaxle (the Achilles’ heel of the Tipo 54), the consignor undertook the enterprise of redesigning and remanufacturing a new transaxle from state-of-the-art technology and materials. The result is an entirely new unit that is indistinguishable from the original and offers superior and much safer performance. An original Colotti unit is included with the car, although it would need re-commissioning prior to use.



Although fairly tractable for road use, this 450S is of impeccable breeding and deserves to be unleashed on a closed circuit or wide open roads, where it’s potential can be fully exploited. This car was conceived for Works champions by the likes of Fangio, Moss, and Behra. Maserati historian Denis Jenkinson, navigator at the 1956 Mille Miglia with Stirling Moss, timed Jean Behra in practice as he tested a 450S, measuring his speed at an outrageous 181 mph! As noted by the owner, “You need to be brave. Like a jet taking off, the car pins your shoulders against the seat in any gear and builds up speed with unbridled determination”.



Claiming only three private owners since it left the factory in 1965, this thunderous Maserati sports racer boasts impeccable provenance, important racing history as the Works entry for the 1956 Mille Miglia, developmental history, and the inestimable cachet of being the prototype of the legendary 450S. This important Maserati is available for purchase for the first time in 33 years, and it offers a crowing acquisition for the serious Maserati collector, particularly in light of “The Trident’s” current centennial celebration.






Moteur V-8 à 90°, 5 657 cm3, 520 ch (est.), 2 ACT par banc, quatre carburateurs Weber 45 IDM, boîte manuelle cinq rapports transaxle, suspension avant indépendante avec doubles triangles et ressorts hélicoïdaux, essieu de Dion renforcé avec ressort à lames et amortisseurs Houdailles, freins à tambours sur les quatre roues. Empattement: 2 360 mm.



  • Prototype de la légendaire 450 S
  • Engagée par l'usine aux Mille Miglia 1956, entre les mains de Stirling Moss et Denis Jenkinson
  • Authentifiée par la correspondance de Maserati S.p.A.
  • Restaurée en 1987 avec les informations de l'usine, consultée spécialement
  • Dernière évolution des sport-prototypes Maserati d'endurance




L'ÉVOLUTION D’UN GÉANT



Au début de l'année 1956, Tony Parravano, un agent immobilier américain aisé, passait commande auprès de Maserati d'un V-8 de grosse cylindrée pour l'installer dans un châssis de Kurtis Indy. Cette demande donnait l'occasion à Maserati de ressortir le projet de V-8, nom de code Tipo 54, qui avait été mis de côté après le terrible accident du Mans 1955. Le projet fournissait aussi l'opportunité d'essayer le nouveau moteur dans les propres châssis Maserati de compétition, dont la 350 S récemment mise au point était la candidate la plus évidente. Cette voiture, châssis numéro 3501, était rallongée pour recevoir le nouveau V-8, dont les fonderies étaient terminées au mois de mai.



Lors de ses débuts comme prototype 450 S aux essais du Grand Prix de Suède, en août 1956, cette voiture, dorénavant identifiée sous le numéro 4501, montrait un potentiel important en accélération et en vitesse de pointe ; elle était toutefois encore au stade expérimental et, la mise au point étant insuffisante, elle se révélait incapable de gérer l'énorme puissance du V-8. De plus, l'ordre d'allumage incorrect provoquait d'insupportables vibrations, pénalisant les performances de la voiture. Tout cela n'empêchait pas la 450 S de signer le troisième temps aux essais ; elle n'était cependant pas engagée à la course et retournait à Modène. Un châssis 450 S spécifique était alors fabriqué.



La mise au point se poursuivait en vue de la saison 1957 et la nouvelle 450 S « de série », utilisant probablement l'identité 4501, prenait part en janvier 1957 à sa première course, les 1000 Km de Buenos Aires. Le « bazooka », selon un surnom donné par Fangio à la voiture, dominait de 10 secondes sur un tour la nouvelle Ferrari double arbre dès la première séance d'essais chronométrés, laissant l'équipe de Maranello complètement découragée. Des problèmes de transmission provoquaient finalement l'abandon des Maserati, mais le mostro avait clairement affiché son potentiel.



La 450 S remportait sa première victoire à Sebring en mars (Juan Manuel Fangio et Jean Behra se partageant la 450 S dotée du châssis 4503), suivie d'une seconde au Grand Prix de Suède 1957. A côté des excellents modèles six-cylindres de la marque, la 450 S promettait un potentiel important pour que Maserati puisse obtenir son tout premier titre au Championnat du Monde de Marques. Malheureusement, affrontant les Ferrari 315 et 335 S, l'élan de la Maserati 450 S allait être arrêté par une série de malchances et, même si Fangio remportait le Championnat du Monde des Conducteurs au volant d'une Maserati 250 F, le titre en endurance échappait au constructeur pour être attribué à Ferrari, qui terminait avec cinq petits points d'avance.



Après la saison 1957, la FIA imposait une formule 3 litres qui écartait la 450 S, bien que certains exemplaires aient par la suite remporté de beaux succès en compétition SCCA, aux États-Unis. La production des 450 S (dont ce prototype) s'est limitée à 11 exemplaires, sur une période de 18 mois.



NUMÉRO DE CHÂSSIS 3501/4501/350SI-10



La répétition ou la substitution de numéros de châssis identiques par les constructeurs italiens n'avait rien de rare dans les années 1950 et 1960, mais les circonstances inhabituelles entourant l'utilisation du numéro de châssis 4501, pas moins de trois fois entre 1956 et 1958, a été à l'origine de nombreuses discussions entre les spécialistes de la marque, ces dernières années. Cependant, l'historique de cette voiture a été récemment vérifié par toute une série de documents originaux, et clarifié par plusieurs historiens Maserati reconnus.



Cette voiture, produite initialement comme une 350 S six-cylindres et dotée du numéro de châssis 3501, était préparée à la hâte pour les Mille Miglia 1956, qui se déroulaient les 28 et 29 avril. Au cours de la fameuse course de 1 600 km, la voiture était confiée au célèbre Stirling Moss, la navigation étant assurée par Denis Jenkinson. Mais juste à la sortie de Rome, les freins de 3501 lâchaient et la Maserati terminait sa course contre un arbre, à côté d'un ravin. Moss et Jenkinson s'en tiraient sans égratignure (sauf une rayure sur la montre de Moss) mais la Maserati n'était pas aussi chanceuse et elle était renvoyée à l'usine pour être remise en état et pour que la mise au point puisse se poursuivre.



Le projet étant encouragé par la commande de Tony Parravano, 3501 est devenue un mulet d'essai pour le programme 450 S, et l'empattement était allongé pour que la voiture puisse recevoir le nouveau V-8. Fantuzzi l'équipait d'une nouvelle carrosserie, dotée d'un nouveau capot plus bulbeux. Sous cette forme superbe, avec ses échappements latéraux courts, la voiture participait (bruyamment !) aux essais du Grand Prix de Suède, en août 1956. Insuffisamment au point, la 450 S ne participait pas à la course et il apparaissait nécessaire de fabriquer pour ce modèle un châssis spécifique. Le constructeur se lançait alors dans la fabrication de plusieurs voitures, commençant la série avec le numéro de châssis 4502, et gardant le numéro 4501 pour l'usage futur de l'usine.



Le numéro de châssis 4501 est source d'une certaine confusion, car il a été ensuite attribué à la 450 S utilisée par Moss et Juan Manuel Fangio aux 1000 Km de Buenos Aires 1957, voiture plus tard accidentée par Jean Behra, lors d'essais pour les Mille Miglia 1957. A la suite de l'accident de Behra, le même numéro était « utilisé de façon provisoire » (comme la documentation d'origine Maserati l'indique) pour le coupé dessiné par Costin et fabriqué par Zagato pour les 24 Heures du Mans 1957. Cette voiture était engagée avec le numéro 4501 (bien qu'initialement construite sous le numéro 4506), avant d'être modifiée en voiture de route l'année suivante et de recevoir le numéro de châssis 4512. Il semble également que le numéro de châssis 3501, correspondant à l'identité d'origine de la voiture, ait été transféré sur un autre 350 S, la voiture pilotée aux 1000 Km de Buenos Aires par Piotti et Bonomi.



Avec l'évolution du châssis Type 54, les jours de ce prototype sous la forme d'un mulet d'essai étaient comptés et ce châssis modifié 3501/4501 était finalement mis de côté par Maserati. Walter Bäumer, historien reconnu de la marque, se souvient avoir inspecté cette voiture il y a plusieurs années : « Le châssis est clairement original et authentique. J'ai pu trouver des traces de coupures dans certains des tubes rallongés, indiquant clairement que Maserati avait ‘essayé de faire quelque chose’ pour adapter des moteurs plus gros à ce châssis conçu initialement pour des moteurs six-cylindres en ligne ».



Après avoir pris la poussière à l'usine, ce rare prototype 450 S était finalement vendu sans moteur à Tom Meade, le 15 août 1956. Cette voiture est décrite sur son Certificato d’Origine officiel comme châssis numéro 350SI-10, une curieuse désignation. Comme l'a expliqué Aurelio Bertocchi, ancien directeur général de Maserati et fils de Guerrino Bertocchi, longtemps ingénieur en chef et pilote d'essai chez Maserati, les voitures renumérotées étaient souvent désignées en interne en inversant simplement les chiffres du numéro de châssis ; ainsi, le suffixe « 10 » de 350SI-10 fait en réalité référence au « 01 » de 3501.



Le 29 octobre 1965, Tom Meade cédait ce prototype de 450 S à Niles F. Moss. Moss livrait alors la voiture à l'atelier modénais de Leoni, Drogo et Gentilini, qui se sont attachés au cours de l'année 1965 à la rendre utilisable. Leur travail a consisté à installer un moteur V-8 Corvette, une boîte Ferrari 5 rapports transaxle Tipo 510 et un pare-brise de cabriolet Ferrari 250 GT. A la suite de ces aménagements, 350SI-10 partait aux États-Unis.



Une fois de l'autre côté de l'Atlantique, elle était vendue le 26 mai 1970 par M. Moss à Gerald Satterfield, de Nevada City (Californie). Après avoir fait immatriculer la voiture 285 BME, Gerald Satterfield utilisait cette superbe 450 S comme voiture de route, ce qui ne devait pas manquer d'attirer l'attention sur les routes du Golden State. Ce prototype 450 S était ensuite découvert, en juillet 1981, par le propriétaire actuel, un collectionneur italien avisé qui en faisait sans tarder l'acquisition et le rapatriait en Italie, pays natal de la voiture.



Le propriétaire se lançait alors dans une restauration longue et dans des recherches qui le menaient à s'interroger sur l'histoire précise de la voiture. A la suite de consultations effectuées auprès de l'usine Maserati et de nombreux autres propriétaires et spécialistes de la marque (dont une correspondance plus récente avec Maserati), le propriétaire confirmait que sa voiture était celle des Mille Miglia 1956, ainsi que le prototype 450 S apparaissant lors du Grand Prix de Suède 1956. Aurelio Bertocchi, qui était à cette époque directeur général de Maserati, confirmait que la voiture était bien considérée par l'usine comme étant le premier châssis désigné « 4501 », avec l'historique décrit plus haut.



Avant la restauration, la question s'est posée de savoir si la voiture devait être remise en état selon ses spécifications 350 S, comme aux Mille Miglia 1956, ou dans sa configuration 450 S, vue pour la première fois en Suède, en 1956. Au cours de nombreux échanges avec l'usine, dont un avec un des anciens responsables des châssis qui aurait travaillé sur la voiture à l'époque, Aurelio Bertocchi suggérait que 3501/4501 soit restaurée comme le prototype 450 S, qui était la dernière forme sous laquelle cette voiture avait été utilisée par l'usine.



Les considérations pour une restauration complète était confiées à l'Officine Orsi srl, dirigée par Roberto Orsi, à Modène. Plusieurs anciens employés de Maserati, comme Bietolini, Lodi, Majorana et Golinelli, sont intervenus dans l'opération pour assurer que la restauration soit aussi authentique que possible. Comme la voiture n'avait jamais été frappée d'un numéro de série, le propriétaire a choisi de préserver cette caractéristique d'origine avec un châssis dépourvu de numéro, au lieu de créer une frappe historiquement artificielle. Il faut savoir qu'à l'époque, les voitures d'usine étaient souvent dépourvues de numéro, dans le but d'avoir une voiture prête pour la course qui puisse utiliser les différentes identités disponibles sur les carnets de douane.



Pour respecter les spécifications 450 S, un moteur V-8 Maserati de cette époque, numéro 4519, était trouvé pour propulser la voiture. Ce moteur marine 5,7 litres était acheté au comte Agusta, qui l'avait utilisé sur un de ses hydroplanes de compétition extrêmement performants de la KD Formula. Ce moteur correspondait techniquement à un Tipo 59 (5,7 litres), mais il était constaté que l'alésage avait été augmenté à 110 mm, ce qui en faisait une version Tipo 62 de 6 458 cm3 encore plus puissante (580 ch). Alors que cette cylindrée plus importante permettait d'augmenter la puissance et le couple, le profil de cames plus doux du moteur marine rend aujourd'hui la voiture étonnamment souple, ce qui permet une utilisation facile sur route ou circuit, lors d'événements historiques.



Après avoir terminé la restauration de cette 450 S, en 1987, le propriétaire de la voiture l'utilisait rarement au cours des 27 années suivantes, participant notamment aux Mille Miglia 1987 ainsi qu'à la célébration officielle du 90e anniversaire de Maserati en 2004. Entretemps, la voiture était soigneusement entretenue dans un environnement climatisé. Plus récemment, en 2012, elle était exposée au Museo Casa Enzo Ferrari, à Modène, dans le cadre d'une exposition intitulée Le Grandi Sfide, Ferrari – Maserati, qui présentait les duels historiques entre les deux équipes fameuses.



Ces dernières années, après avoir rencontré des problèmes récurrents au niveau de la transmission transaxle (le talon d'Achille du Tipo 54), le propriétaire entreprenait de faire redessiner et refabriquer une nouvelle transmission transaxle, avec une technologie et des matériaux de pointe. Le résultat est un dispositif complètement neuf, impossible à distinguer de l'original et qui offre un fonctionnement beaucoup plus fiable et sûr. Un ensemble Colotti d'origine accompagne la voiture, mais qui nécessiterait une révision avant d'être utilisé.



Bien que très utilisable sur la route, cette 450 S de race mérite d'être lâchée sur un circuit fermé ou sur des routes très roulantes, où son potentiel peut être pleinement exploité. Cette voiture était conçue pour des champions comme Fangio, Moss et Behra. L'historien Maserati Denis Jenkinson, navigateur de Stirling Moss aux Mille Miglia 1956, a chronométré Jean Behra alors qu'il essayait la 450 S pour cette épreuve, le mesurant à la vitesse incroyable de 291 km/h ! Comme l'indique le propriétaire, « Il faut avoir du courage. Comme un jet qui décolle, la voiture vous écrase le dos contre le siège et accélère avec une détermination sans limite ».



N'ayant connu que trois propriétaires depuis qu'elle a quitté l'usine, en 1965, cette redoutable Maserati de course peut se targuer d'une provenance impeccable, d'un important passé en course comme voiture d'usine aux Mille Miglia 1956, d'une histoire évolutive et de l'inestimable cachet d'être le prototype de la légendaire 450 S. Cette importante Maserati est disponible à la vente pour la première fois depuis 33 ans et constitue une acquisition suprême pour tout collectionneur de Maserati, en particulier à la lumière de l'actuelle célébration du centenaire de la marque « Au Trident ».

Addendum

Friday morning here in Monte Carlo, an Italian collector – unexpectedly presented a dossier suggesting that this Maserati may not be the one modified in 1956 by the factory to become the 450S Prototype. The evidence presented by this gentleman was judged by RM inconclusive however, in agreement with the present owner RM felt it should be mentioned.

Alain Squindo


Detroit, Michigan

Alain Squindo joined RM Auctions in 2007, after graduating from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., with a degree in History. R... read more

Alex Classick

aclassick@rmauctions.com

+44 (0) 20 7851 7070
United Kingdom

Alex Classick joined RM Europe in 2011 as a car specialist, after graduating from Nottingham University with a degree in Business Mana... read more

Alexander Weaver

aweaver@rmauctions.com

+1 310 559 4575
California, USA

Alexander Weaver joined RM Auctions in 2011 as a car specialist, after graduating from Furman University in South Carolina. Born into ... read more

Annette Abaci

aabaci@rmauctions.com

+49 (0) 40 441 95 737
Germany

With post-secondary degrees in Economic Science and Mechanical Engineering, Annette Abaci initially worked part-time at Mercedes-Benz ... read more

Augustin Sabatié-Garat

asabatie-garat@rmauctions.com

+44 (0) 20 7851 7070
United Kingdom

Augustin Sabatié-Garat joined RM Europe in 2012 as a senior car specialist, after more than a decade in the collector car hobby... read more

Dan Warrener

dwarrener@rmauctions.com

+1 519 352 4575
Ontario, Canada

Possessing a degree in Economics from Brandon University, Dan Warrener spent the initial stages of his career working around the globe... read more

Don Rose

drose@rmauctions.com

+1 617 513 0388
United States

Don Rose joined RM Auctions in 2006, after many years of professionally trading sports and classic cars, and after earning a reputatio... read more

Donnie Gould

dgould@rmauctions.com

+1 954 566 2209
Florida, USA

Donnie Gould joined the RM team in 2002 as a partner and Car Specialist after more than two decades in the vintage automobile auction ... read more

Gord Duff

gduff@rmauctions.com

+1 519 352 4575
Ontario, Canada

Gord joined RM Auctions in 1998, initially responsible for the transportation and logistics of the company’s auction and restora... read more

Ian Kelleher

ikelleher@rmauctions.com

+1 310 559 4575
New York, United States

Ian Kelleher began his automotive career immediately following his graduation from Oberlin College, with a B.A. in Politica... read more

Jack Boxstrom

jboxstrom@rmauctions.com

+1 818 703 2816
Ontario, Canada

Jack Boxstrom joined RM Auctions in late-1996 to assist with the recently acquired, and subsequently record-breaking, auction in Monte... read more

Max Girardo

mgirardo@rmauctions.com

+44 (0) 20 7851 7070
United Kingdom

Max Girardo started his career in the vintage automobile industry in 1998, joining Brooks Auctioneers (now Bonhams) as a car specialis... read more

Mike Fairbairn

mfairbairn@rmauctions.com

+1 519 352 4575
Ontario, Canada

As one of the three founding partners of RM Auctions, Mike Fairbairn has a longstanding interest in the classic car industry. Graduati... read more

Peter Wallman

pwallman@rmauctions.com

+44 (0) 20 7851 7070
United Kingdom

Peter Wallman joined RM Europe in 2007, following nearly two decades in the international advertising industry, read more

Rob Myers

+1 519 352 4575
Ontario, Canada

As chairman and founder of the RM Group of Companies, Rob Myers’s entire career has been devoted to the classic car industry. Ro... read more

Shelby Myers

smyers@rmauctions.com

+1 310 559 4575
California, USA

Shelby Myers literally grew up with the classic car industry infused into every aspect of his life. He had the unique opportunity to w... read more

Vinnie Mandzak

vmandzak@rmauctions.com

+1 310 559 4575
California, USA

Vinnie Mandzak joined RM Auctions’ California office in 2012 as a car specialist, following more than 30 years’ experience... read more